The Norwegian Folk Museum in Oslo
opened its doors in 1881 and was able to present a stave church to the astonished visitor, that once stood in Gol in Hallingdal. By 1890 five more buildings followed. In 1907 they were integrated into the Norsk Folkemuseum, founded in 1894 on the initiative of librarian Hans Aall (1869-1946), and are still part of the site.
Starting from the collections of King Oscar II, today’s museum is therefore the oldest open-air museum in the world, even before Stockholm’s Skansen (founded in 1891).
The Norsk Folkemuseum shows over 160 buildings from all over Norway, from the 13th to the 20th century. The complex is complemented by exhibitions in the main building.
Particularly interesting is the collection of Oslo half-timbered houses, which could be preserved before the demolition and, of course, the Stave Church.